Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mooo York City?!!

Ladies and gentlemen, if I say I am not exaggerating, you will agree. This is how 90 percent of the conversations with sources and other people on Hilton Head have transpired over the past two weeks when I tell them I'm moving:

Me: I'm leaving y'all soon.
Source: Really? Where are you going?
Me: New York City to try to find a new writing job.
Source (flummoxed): New York City?!!
Me: Uh ... yeah.

I might as well have said I'm leaving this backwater planet to go find work on the orbiting space station.

Every time someone says it, I can't help but think of this Pace salsa commercial that was all over my TV in the 80s. It was one of those ads that stuck deep in the psyche, so that when ever my mom told my dad she was going into the city for the weekend, my friend and I would shoot our heads out from the bedroom and shout: "Moooo York City?!!" And laugh heartily before returning trying to figure out what the hell all these extra buttons did in Super Mario World.

Here, for nostalgia:




Apparently, they revived this ad campaign in 2004.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get a rope!